Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The Guest

I do not believe, know
by temperament I have
come under the influence
of the praying mantis
but rather through necessity
of which I had no need of until
the mantis was there beside me
prayerfully, silently saying Om
or Amen or Gloria over and over
again in that Gregorian chant
chamber of air that seemed
to have enclosed me unaware.
I was in silent meditation listening
to the mantis, being allowed
to overhear what patience
and deliberation probing the 
universe for the right choice
in the moment felt like.
I didn't like  it much
but I was drawn to it,
the way it promised 
something, someone was this way,
my way coming.
                       I felt a rhythm
not of a heartbeat but something older,
so old it felt new
                           and the only thing
I could think was, "This is what the divine
dances to."
                 I sat until dusk turned
nearly night.
                  In the morning it was gone.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...