Thursday, July 11, 2019

Gone Fishin

Jacob has gone fishing as is his habit
in the morning before I wake
and sit writing, sipping coffee,
slight worried about a careless step
or a bear --
                   neither of which I am
capable of preventing.
I don't have any room to talk.
I often hunt alone, know how 
my children must feel with me
in the woods and no one to call
upon should something untowards
happen to me.
                    It's a good day for
fishing -- light wind out of the south,
no shadows to speak of,
the air relatively cool for July.
And, of course, the urge to fish,
the possibility of taking something.
and the possibility of catching
what is not being fished for.
I know how true that is in hunting --
what we seek we may not find
but we will find something.
And go out again the next day.
I am his father and he is my son
and we are doing what fathers
and sons have always done.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...