Friday, July 26, 2019

A Meditation

Nothing so brings the spirit of reflection
upon the present moment
as the subject of dying, death
like some drawstring keeping feelings
and thoughts, remembering and forgetting,
memories from easily slipping out
as when death is not considered they scatter.
As if, somehow, no temptation
is great enough to move us from 
beneath the branches of the tree
of life and death.
                           How fleet afoot does time
then more truly seem when years
feel like compressed hours of meaning,
when desire and longing cannot
be satisfied.
                So I find myself there, here
in that funk when the fact of death
is as strong as the fact of life,
maybe a little more so because
time is no longer aligned so strongly
with life.
               Some say to consider death
more often would make a richer life;
I don't know.
                  What I do know is anything
that takes away from living is a death
and if we have but one life,
one death I know what I'm doing,
what contemplation is mine,
what moves me to be and do and love.
See how that works?
This poem began with some pontification
regarding dying and death
                                          and the only thing
I can conclude is being alive
and loving is the only thing to do.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...