Thursday, April 18, 2019

At the Foot of a Mountain

In a reclusive cabin
where a wood stove hiccups
orange embers clothed
in gray ash coats,

the bottoms of my feet
feel bitter, raw air
circulating over every inch
of hard floor awash in

ghostly blue moonlight.
Through a window, I see
a lone yellow buckeye bend
in a boisterous wind

that makes me believe
it can bring down
the entire mountainside,
but I know spring

will come again on wings
of a gentler breeze that uplifts
saplings rooted sideways
in moonmilk underground.



A finalist for the 2018 Joy Bale Boone Poetry Prize, “At the Foot of a Mountain” was first published in The Heartland Review.


-Kevin J. McDaniel
Poet, Pulaski Virginia 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...