Thursday, April 18, 2019

Giant Jim

   For Shelly and Darby

A fat copperhead
 Jim found
in the basement
 dangled limp

over barbed wire fence
 where he stood tall
telling a story
 about how the snake

coiled, hissed,
 and then bit
at his huge, greasy shoes
 when he piddled

in our damp basement
 for tools to fix
his broken Barracuda
 that sat on

cinderblocks
 in Daddy’s shed.
Jim grinned reliving
 his heroics,

With a pitchfork,
 I ripped the head off
and shit down
  its neck, I did!

Lifting it by the tail,
  Jim showed me
how it stretched
  from his toes to forehead.

He, a faithful family friend,
  endured achy joints most days,
arthritic elbows swollen
  like red grapefruits.

I was a young kid
  to whom Jim became
a giant of a man
  on an intense summer afternoon.



“Giant Jim” was first published in Pine Mountain Sand & Gravel (2018).

   
-Kevin J. McDaniel
Poet, Pulaski Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...