Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Elliott Reivers

Fortiter Et Recte (Boldly and Rightly)

Strength 

Fighters from generation to next

Serving no King

Guardians to the bloodiest valley in Britain.

History remembers them as 

Trouble-making nuisances

Border-hopping thieves.

Thoroughly cursed by a thousand words,

excommunicated by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar.

His proclamation never lifted,

carved in stone in Carlisle.

 

That blood runs in my veins.

According to my mother

who took me to Highland Festivals in Deep Creek Lake

and tried to convince me to play the bagpipes

but was content when I took up the tin whistle.

She told me the Scots loved West Virginia. 

The mountains reminded them of home,

so they made a new one in our hills and hollers.

I didn’t believe until 23 & Me 

confirmed she was right--their blood runs in my veins. 

 

Grandma Elliott, good mountain stock,

played piano, guitar, dulcimer, and fiddle.

She was strong enough to survive 

the sudden death of her first husband,

kept the farm running while raising four kids

without running water or heat.


But ancestry doesn’t build character, right?

Yet when I look at my father, 

from whom I get my dark hair and brown eyes

my stubbornness and work ethic

my rebellious streak…

I cannot deny

that his blood runs in my veins.


Digging in dirt for roots makes my hands dirty.


Fill my blood with

Strength, boldly and rightly,

and a fighter’s spirit

Monongahela River’s morning mist

Wind from Cheat Mountain

Cathedral's deep wooded silence

A touch of mischief

Creativity and intelligence

 

My blood runs in my veins. 


-Melissa Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...