Thursday, February 23, 2023

Slippage

Yesterday was Sunday and I went to no church

but the sanctuary of a small stream, a small

lake to cast a line in water too cold to fish

but not worship by.  The ground was soft,

at least an inch or two down.  The winter 

thaw had begun and the waters were clear

and the stream, because it was in a small

valley, kept the wind away.  And the lake,

because it was in the open, almost had white-

tipped waves.  The sun silvered the bottom 

of the clouds and the ruffled nature of them

made me think of a ruffled bedspread after 

two people get out of bed – that curious beauty

of chaos and dream.  I drove slow on the backroads.

On one side, the steep hillside with pines and oaks

and beech trees and boulders and fallen trees

and moss.  And on the other side, the downwaru

grade into the creek, its windings like a hypnotic 

dance of a snake without any danger of dying only

getting lost.  Between the water and the sky

and the land and the backroad I felt I was moving 

back in time where scripture was scripture before

any word was spoken.  And had some idea about time

and eternity and some confusion about where I was

and then remembered I was driving home.


-Byron Hoot

https://hootnhowlpoetry.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...