Friday, March 22, 2024

Memory Lane


                         I

Light snow, the temperature at freezing,

a breeze moving the outermost tips

of branches.  I sit inside.  I look out 

to see in like a sorceress casting bones

to read the time not yet here arising 

from the past.  There are days for remembering

and days for not remembering.  Like the scales

of Justice, who knows how they are balanced.

The light is up, the sun hidden.  “Like memories,”

I say, reach for my coffee, look outside

again wondering where I’ve put my talisman. 

                         II

Who has not felt that treble hook

of the past sink into a moment, drag you back 

into the vortex of what was and then that sense

of drowning?  And who has not escaped?

Sputtering, fighting for air, saying,

"Never again!"  finding a pearl in the center

of your fist.


-Byron Hoot

https://hootnhowlpoetry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...