Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Orb

You do more than float. 

You perform a hanging feat behind 

the skin of my thinning lids, jetting 

and slowing as I scan 

that field of vision, catching 

something to stare at, out a window, 

maybe the sun or moon, or another face, smiling 

with nice teeth, or my own reflection. 

Ghostly blind spots like little animals. 

You do more than loiter, bored. It seems 

you know your purpose if I can

give you enough time to find your way 

across the long black. The loneliness. 

You’re not round. I don’t know what color

to call you. Some enlivened sparkle from nothing. 

You’re not really there. You help me

keep my eyes clamped shut for a little longer 

than I would were I not a believer.  


-Larry Thacker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early

The death of my father is nearly a month away – 31 years.  The haunting of longing has begun.  The end of his life was nothing like the full...