Thursday, July 1, 2021

WHITE LIGHT ON THE CAHABA RIVER

Although the air shimmers in the hot June sun,

there is coolness in the wide bend of the Cahaba,

where the river widens, slows, flattens, and bursts

into a shallow glistening sea of white Cahaba Lilies

as I float silently by in my ancient canoe.


Submerged in crystal clear water, Cahaba Lily bulbs explode

from bedrock island clusters of green reeds into spider shaped flowers.

Each flower is an exploding star which blooms only for a day,

flashing, flashing, flashing, flashing in the sun.


An old man and young boy sit invisible in shadows on an

old tree trunk extending over the river. In silent concentration

they hold silver wire snares over the water; trying to catch redhorse

sucker fish schooling along the bank. Motionless, then jerking

and yelling they throw the slimy grey suckers into a large metal bucket.

It seems strange to see men fishing from a tree without poles.


Redhorse fish still live in the Cahaba feeding

on small snails, a good indicator for good water quality.

At Hargrove Shoals you can see thousands of snails

on the rock bottom, some places so thick

you can't walk without the crunch of stepping on them.


The river runs fierce just down the hill from the old square limestone

Coosa county jail with its eight barred windows and gray steel door.

I can hear the runaway slaves singing “He's the lily of the valley.

Oh my Lord ! King Jesus in the chariot rides, Oh my Lord!

With four white horses side by side.”


I paddle my canoe upstream toward the fisherman trying not to

interrupt their harvesting of fish. We talk about the declining

numbers of fish and fresh water mussels, the danger of new dams,

bank erosion and sewage pollution. We invisibly embrace

our shared love of the river together.


Laugh if you like, but now I am dreaming I’m on the Ganges

which is flowing from Vishnu’s toe; I’m on a boat to heaven,

Bhagiratha is praying for my rebirth; I am riding on Shiva’s hair,

bathing in her waters. I am in another world.

(stanza break)


The shadows lengthen and the air cools as I drift

among the clusters of lilies. I awaken to a fluttering of flashing

iridescent dragon fly wings, iridescent greens and blues vibrating in thin air,

slim as a pencil, a solitary glider, clear sugar crystal wings, 

a fairy calling me into these island clusters of reeds and flowers.


Her flight path leaves sparkling fireworks

in it’s wake. There is something beautiful in

the way she experiences the world.

There must be a dead pioneer who knew me

buried somewhere under the water.


How crazy I am to follow a fly, into the lilies,

into the underworld, into a watery labyrinth of shadows.

It’s no good choosing a middle path;

we have to risk damnation; we must follow

the white light of the dying lily.


-W Roger Carlisle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...