Friday, March 8, 2024

Road Closed

I kept the radio on a sport’s talk station

because I did not want to hear 

the conversations the drive was ready

to give if I gave silence and the way

home a chance to collaborate.

I couldn’t take that collective voice 

of longing and desire creating poetry 

whose purpose was to turn the car around

and drive back as if I could enter the past

by a different route without reading a sign

that read, Road Closed.  That is the seduction

of the past – to find a road back.

I’ve driven enough to know that the unknown 

is the only road with certainty, the one 

“that goes on forever” revealing hidden beauty

and treasure and love.  Still, I kept

the station on until I was out of range

and had to face my dreams and memories.

The hum of the tires like a powerful chant 

keeping me from turning back.



-Byron Hoot

hootnhowlpoetry.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...