Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Upside Down

It was a day for ghosts.

Fog hanging in the air,

a mist that never turned

to rain.  Leaves slick 

as ice and the ground 

underneath in a surface

thaw making walking 

tricky.  I saw plenty,

all deer no parents 

or grandparents or family

stretching back to my

beginnings.  Only deer,

the ones who couldn’t leave

the woods, the weather: 

peripheral visions disappeared

in each step, each pause,

each pawing. Each head bob.

I wondered if that was the kind

of ghost I’d be, the one unable

to leave, the one so in love

with here that eternity means

nothing, some promise land

a fragment of slivered eyes

unable to see why no one,

once here, would want to leave

like the deer I saw all day

while I hunted the living deer

of which I saw none.

Only the ghosts that turn

heaven upside down.


-Byron Hoot

https://hootnhowlpoetry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

As One

The rain is eighteen inches or so on the porch edge.  By my calculus of rainfall, a light one last night.  Is there never a calculus in our ...