Friday, September 23, 2022

Water Boy

Every morning before I 

walked to the bus stop,

crossed State Route 119

then listened for the bus

to crest the hill,

I drew water from the well.

It was the cooking and drinking

water for the house.  Five gallons

to begin the day.  No letting 

go of the handle; a slow steady

winding up.  The well door opened,

the galvanized bucket, then the trigger

release on the slender cylinder.

Repositioning that, tying off

the rope.  Closing the door,

the walk back, then lifting 

the bucket to the kitchen counter

by the sink. Books tied with a bungee

cord, paper bag lunch, a dime for milk.

Then off to catch the bus.

I’ve been drawing water all my life.


-Byron Hoot

http://hootnhowlpoetry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...