Friday, June 3, 2022

The Gallery

The old woman was at the art gallery

looking for the Monet that showed 

a dock and a few people on it, 

boats ready to be taken on the lake;

something about one of the characters

had a clarity that haunted her, had

taken her out of the church before                       

the benediction and she had lost

her watch on the walk over and now

was lost in theology and art and time 

when she felt the sudden pain, overhearing

herself say, “I know where I was. I 

know where I am.  I don’t where I’m       

going.” as she felt her muscles relax,

the cold marble floor on her legs 

and then her face, thought she heard

her daughter who had drowned falling 

off a dock cry, “Momma!” once more.


-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

As One

The rain is eighteen inches or so on the porch edge.  By my calculus of rainfall, a light one last night.  Is there never a calculus in our ...