Thursday, June 23, 2022

My Autistic Nephew Reminds Me of Myself

He says, Hello, Uncle David, or Goodbye,

Uncle David, as he leans his whole body

into the entirety of mine. But he always asks

 

my name first, not important enough

to remember, but significant enough to get

 

right. He is sure there is only one way

to do everything. If I don’t follow the pattern,

the rules, he reminds me. Sometimes,

 

he screams until I give in. How he survives

this world, I cannot say. Rivers change

 

course. They flood. Storms take us

by surprise, midday and midnight,

our world rearranged. When I sing

 

the wrong word, the wrong note,

the wrong key, he tells me to stop.

 

Sometimes, he won’t let me sing at all.

It’s not my normal voice. There are days

I don’t like him. Let me say that

 

again. There are days I don’t like him.

But I only see him a few times a year.

 

And when he hugs me, he means it.

As though we were an ocean, stilled,

without the tug of an everchanging moon.

 

-David B. Prather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early

The death of my father is nearly a month away – 31 years.  The haunting of longing has begun.  The end of his life was nothing like the full...