Sunday, June 19, 2022

Luna and the kneecaps of trees

 by Lori Lasseter Hamilton


Flying from kudzu and pine,

trees leaning over the green

with knots rotting like elders’ capped knees,

you, Luna, escape green ropes,

tangled snakes choking my neck.

Post-nightshift, she visits me

fluttering, paper heart hovering

near porch light.

Lime green Luna, giant of all moths

near apartment’s edge

of overgrown pine.

March into September, six months into pandemic,

Roman moon queen emerges to gift me

with light this September night.

This night, like so many September eves,

morphing, destroying me.

One September night I was raped.

Now Roman goddess flies near porch light,

paper kite landing on lunch bag,

junk food I’ve lugged home to drown despair in,

sweet tea and chocolate a paper heart’s comfort.

As my moon queen flies goodbye, fluorescent green she

lights the night

like lightning bugs ten-year-old me would stand in nighttime driveway for,

fingers catching fire in jar.

To guide me, but I was already home –

rare, precious, transient home

like paper plane center creased in 4 th grade.

“Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high”

crooning jubilation to me from ‘80s TV.

Home the place to den pose, arms akimbo.

Cocoon for phoenix feathers to become butterfly wings,

with purple-white eyes so I could eye myself fly

as I let go of everything,

a crinkly kite glued to silk string

wound tight, circulation to fingertips cut,

blood unflown.


Website: Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early

The death of my father is nearly a month away – 31 years.  The haunting of longing has begun.  The end of his life was nothing like the full...