Wednesday, June 22, 2022

An Optical Education

Ground to exacting standards,

my new glasses enable me

to read French and German without

a dictionary. Slang of Brecht,

the interstices of Wittgenstein,

grimaces of Zola and Balzac,

passionate verbs of Baudelaire

clarify and crystallize at last.


Sorry you can’t try them out,

but my prescription’s too strong

for you. Maybe next time

you visit your oculist he’ll order

a pair for you. Meanwhile I’m reading

Goethe and Flaubert while mouthing

their language without an accent,

applying myself with mastery

my teachers couldn’t evoke.


Flushed with envy, you decide

to get glasses to empower you

to read ancient Greek and Latin

with a sense of the colloquial

and scholarly verve and detachment.

You promise to clarify Pindar

and stir the flux of the Iliad

and render Catullus in colors

that blush with poetic glee.


We’ll make a fine pair of scholars,

won’t we? But are we cheating

by skipping ponderous grammars

and peering straight into language?

I’ll ask again when I finish

reading Madame Bovary and Faust,

the rich vowels slipping through me

with radiance that refreshes

in tones never struck before.


-William Doreski 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early

The death of my father is nearly a month away – 31 years.  The haunting of longing has begun.  The end of his life was nothing like the full...