Friday, August 2, 2019

The Duality of the Singular

The animal existence of my reality
begins by rubbing my eyes,
my feet finding the floor,
the slow, certain steps towards
making coffee.
                      And then the sitting
down, looking out
                             but looking, listening
in as well
               because I know for me --
though I can't speak for my brothers
and sisters of the wild -- there are
at least two worlds.
                                   And to deny one
or the other is utter denial of me.
I immigrated here from my mother's
womb, the joint effort of egg and sperm
and desire and love: these last two
inherent before I breathed my first breath.
So that other instinct of my existence
I don't deny either;
                             I don't think any wild
creature is so cross-blooded,
that elixir of human and divine,
divine-in-human, humanly diviine 
is only yours and mine.
Even Angels and Devils can't claim
the blessings and curses we call
human we alone possess.

-Byron Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment

As One

The rain is eighteen inches or so on the porch edge.  By my calculus of rainfall, a light one last night.  Is there never a calculus in our ...