Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Going Home


Last week, I listened to
A Syrian poet, from Damascus,
Tell us how homesick he was
For a place, where he loved everyone,
And everyone loved him.

We talked afterward and I
Told him how his words resonated with me.
How it reminded me of a beloved song:
“I lived in the mountains
I had a lot of fun
I knew a lot of people and
I loved everyone around me”.
Damascus, Syria, meet
Turkey Creek, West Virginia.

This morning, I drink coffee alone 
at my cabin,
Thinking of good friends, some of
Whom have changed worlds,
Who sat in this kitchen with me,
Eating, drinking, laughing, being imperfect.

Nostalgia has always been my struggle.
Always with me.
I was the only 5 year old 
who used to long
 For all the good times gone by.

My great-aunt Frankie used to say:
“Moments never stay, but
Memories do.”
She used to say all those things.

But, today, this morning, I realize
I am being nostalgic for
A time that really isn’t over.

I listen to my son’s bluegrass CD.
I read a friend’s book of poetry.
I look at pictures of holler gatherings gone by.
And, I respond to a text that pings:

“Hey, asshole, how long
 You going to be in?
We need to get together.”


-Greg Clary

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...