Monday, July 8, 2019

Wild Acres


the quiet gun has been fired
the languid race begun
as autumn’s reds and rusts overlap
the faded emeralds and broken leaves of summer

mountains curve
as if drawn by a child’s hand
in sets of seven, four, and five
sculpted by happenstance
and painted with van Gogh’s brush

the path folds and rolls like ribbon candy

the last of the wild flowers bloom
toes still tucked in the rock wall


what am i waiting for?

my thoughts to slow
to the pulse of cicadas

the sun to lift my chin
like the face of a flower
and warm me into fall

-Janey Pease



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...