Friday, March 8, 2019

In the Name of Love

I am afraid
But I know you are too

Storms are screaming over this black
Sea of life: your shadow supports
Me from behind as our tiny vessel
Sinks and my hope – heavy in my hands
Like wet sand – weighs down
My soul’s pockets and washes out.

You sing: “Hold on. Hold on.
There is a light; don’t let it go out.”
I’m gasping and together we push back
Against waves with our bare hands.
There is sadness in our will: the courage
Of the noble righteous doomed
Who defy and defy
Until Defiance kills us –
Because we must, if only for those
Who lack the strength to fight.

There is no moon; there is just
Water and more cold salted water.
You are not sure anymore;
Love keeps you singing – that’s
All now and that’s enough.

Sputtering, you clasp my shoulders
Firmly and with fondness:
You pull me under.

I surrender
To your hold: giving
Even in death, your body
A floating raft for other life –
Silenced yet forever singing hope.
Dawn spears horizon’s spray.

-Sabne Raznik

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mind in the Wind Seeing Where Things Lie

I am riding the wind, surveying the damage of the storm as if I’m a bird caught on the wind currents handed off like a baton in a relay race...